“I love the weirdos. The rule breakers. The strange, whimsical, outlandish, peculiar, and uncanny. The misfits. The curious, unusual, eccentric, and unpredictable. The freaks. The radical star-gazing vagabonds. The loners. The rejects. The outsiders. The silly romanticists who ridiculously dream of changing the world someday…because they do.”
Favorite Posts Written in September
Favorite Book Read in September
September Journal Jots
There is a button undone at your collar bone- / I am unsuspectingly suspended in fever at the sight of a button undone at your collar bone- the way you lock your fingers behind your head when you stretch, that small field of skin exposed-I love how I can sit here and write about mundane thing after mundane thing but can’t get a single emotion onto paper about a damn button.
- Change always creates a little tension within. I don’t need to let it overcast the hopeful outcome.
- I take a stupid amount of joy in that “after-the-fridge-has-finally-been-cleaned-out” feeling.
- It’s such a small comfort to come home to a sweet dog, some tea, and the nighttime sounds of this place. I think every home has its own soundtrack – I just happen to really love this one.
- Enrolled in a writing workshop for latter October and early November = every Monday night for six weeks, via an online conferencing platform. What’s the worst that can happen? I love it? I make a friend?
- Been living in the bottoms for the majority of my life but I’m still humbled by how beautiful the sunsets can be. Pastel and neon and haze. All these gorgeous elements over a bean field or flooded corn, clouds big as mountains, birds loud as a train car in the trees…
- Considering giving #Nanowrimo another shot for 2018? I have my heart set on some steampunk. Combine my love of fantasy, historical fiction, and westerns. Need to check out some October prepwork on Pinterest. (?)
Currently Reading (Moving into October)
Escaping from Houdini by Kerri Maniscalco
What I’m Listening To…
- Hands on You by Ashley Monroe
- Lead Me On by Teddy Robb
- Youth ft. Khalid by Shawn Mendes
- On My Way to You by Cody Johnson
- Animal by Zayde Wolf
- Our Love by Judah and the Lion
September’s word of the month was “offbeat.” I tried to focus on some of the random things I’m fascinated with: trees, local Civil War history, learning more about essential oils + herbal remedies, tore apart another old typewriter, wore less makeup and did things barefoot, spent more time asking questions than giving answers…
I haven’t really picked a word for October but I’m leaning toward “authentic.” Somewhat in the same whirlpool – to be a little more true to myself. To stop worrying so much about the image I broadcast. To quit feeling anxious over having to see people. To breathe in what is real and wholesome- and project a certain type of energy that encourages other people to do the same.
The ever changing wheel of the seasons is in full swing here in Mid-Mo. I love this time of year most, when crimson and auburn and mustard make their appearance among the leaves. The solid crunch of acorns and pecans under my boots. The smell of cold mornings, breathing a steady stream of fog into the dawn.
I wish you all a happy October.