I’m choosing to take the prompt this week for Top 5 Wednesday and run with it like such: That handsome guy you met at a bar one night, banged harder than a salsa jar on the kitchen counter, and then proceeded to move onto bigger and better things. Figuratively or literally – I’ll let you decide.
The topic prompt itself included the words: “whether you loved or hated it” but I chose to stick to the more negative side of the spectrum. (Per usssssssual.)
Here are some books I still physically own, currently in the Bullshit Box* that were pretty dang forgettable:
- Pretty covers.
- Several I was SO excited to buy.
- And somewhat lovely potential between these pages.
But when I sit down to think about them – I can’t really remember any details that reach out and punch me in the nose.
1. Dreamstrider = talk, talk, talk. That’s one thing I remember. The cover art is BEAUTIFUL though.
2. Incarceron = hurt my brain. Still hurts when I try to remember details.
3. Reign of Shadows = again, gorgeous cover. Smooth, velvety finish. Not a single character that stands out in my memory.
4. Winterkill = I do remember thinking: “Am I done yet?” Yikes.
5. The Eternal Ones = this one is “ancient.” It had been on my shelves since high school. Flipped back through it a few days ago and couldn’t help wondering why teenage me loved melodrama as much as she loved neon lipsticks.
So, there’s a few of my “forgettables.” I don’t necessarily mean to critique them however. I read them each all the way through, therefore they had their merit. I just can’t quite remember what the merit was.
* Bullshit Box = an actual box where I toss all my books to be donated/gifted/garage sale-d. It actually says Bullshit on it in red Sharpie, much to my grandparent’s disapproval. Hey, we all gotta have somewhere to stash reassurance that: “if someone can get that published, then I stand a chance to get mine published, too.”